Saturday 18 June 2016

EXTENDED INTERVIEW WITH PROFESSORBYRNEYARTY



WHAT WAS THE FIRST PAINTING OR ART THAT INSPIRED YOU 

LOOK and LEARN MAGAZINES . I liked Battle scenes because I used to play with soldiers  I was taken to the national by my dad but I wasnt very interested to be honest. I liked the paintings with battles in them and if they were paintings of fruit I was bored , my favourite painting was of a Napoleonic battle in Jersey , theres a black soldier in it defending his general , kind of strange but interesting. 
WHY ARE YOU CALLED PROFBYRNEYARTY
Its a play on the Moriarty character, everyone in my line of work has to have their nom de plum , is that what they call it? Banksy gave me the name because at the time I was working in an institute as a psychologist.I would walk into his studio and he would say "Ah professorbyrneyarty"
Me and my Dad ,We always walked through the rothko gallery and my Dad said always "Anyone could do that" .Later on I discovered Rothko more and I really admire him because he had guts . 
 There is a a multitude of meaningless bourgeois work that as soon as you see it you think=Mind Set snotty middle , we should have a major exhibition called something like THE MIND SET OF THE MIDDLE CLASS. Nearly all painting comes from them but I pride myself on being a working Class painter. I worked with the man who is now Banksy years ago and I would class his work now as working class. Great artist.That said is any art meaningless?

2) Your higher education is focused on the study of  Psychology. Do you feel this  occassionally feeds into your paintings ?
Absolutely, it does! All my art is about those places where we cannot go or dont know how to go. Im always a victim of the past and how I was brought up , I say a victim but that is not quite true some of it was ok , even good.

The ideas of any other artist are not present in my work  . I just paint who I am. Im also very interested in photography but photography that follows my ides on painting that being no rules.I like to think that what I do asks a question to the viewer, in my photography it is more obvious what question is being asked but as regards the paintings the question is maybe an enigma.
3) Where does your fascination for the  Abstract  movement come from ?
3) Where does your fascination for the  Abstract  movement come from ?
“NO RULES, NO CONSTRICTIONS”and no  ideas. I can go as far as saying, I create my own dimensions where I can enjoy following my own rules.And that is no rules .I never know what Im going to do , normally it is a feeling about a woman Ive just met, my best work comes from feelings like that.

4) Why have you chosen to dedicate your artistic career to exploring and representing the female universe ?
it's not a female one just a sexual one, if I liked men I'd paint men. I dont like men sexually so I rarely paint them .Sometimes Ill have a nude model but I wont really paint her just get her mood as I go along painting.For me a woman has to have soul about her even if she is not particularly interesting.

So most of your paintings are about sex?


The subject of a woman's sexuality is more or less something that plagues me , I honestly don't know why but obviously its something from the past, my childhood.All artists have to find a reason to paint and my reason is exploring women, its as simple as that . I would even say that Im just a writer who happens to use colour and photography instead of a pen . I do write though, poems and short stories.
a womans  sexuality is the most appropriate subject to express my contradictive personality . I love women but not in the usual way, for me they have pathos much more than men but that is because Im a man lol.
5) Which painting are you most proud of and why ?
If it moves its shit 
 I like that one. It was a painting I was fed up with so instead of throwing away I superimposed another image on top, it worked out and has a kind of strange feel to it now , sold to a Brazilian who loved it the moment he saw it, he didnt have much money but I knew he had to have it so we made a deal.
6) When are you at your most productive ?
Definitely when my emotions are at their most intense….after comes the need to let that emotion fly onto a canvas 

 Is there a lot of baggage attached to to being an artist ?
 The Art World’s management is a closed circle where often mayhem reigns free on a canvas….but not something interesting just total shite but thayt leaves the question what exactly is total shite , well I think it might be what I said earlier total shite is when the art is enthused with middle class preoccupation 


7) Tell us about your work space. What is the most unusual thing you keep in your studio ?
My studio is my front room , a kind of creative chaos where i find my order , after a while, becomes a painting
. I have homes in Gallipoli and in Milan and near Lecco . I also sculpt figures sometimes.But these are historical figures for my wargaming moments . Italy is also where I have a menswear operation going on and when Im there I hang out with my mates paolo and sergio who are totally uninterested in art so I tend to be discouraged from any art that is important .And there I cannot seem to paint very well so I save up for when Im back in London. Above MARI

8) Is there anything you dislike about the Art World? What is the hardest thing about anipulation and targeted commercial 
operation celebrate or dismiss an artist. They know little about art and artists only aboutselling 
Do you sell much?

Yes I sell a lot but I prefer to sell stuff to people who maybe 
dont have art in the forefront of their life but maybe see a piece by me and enthuse about it and I can see that they really want it. Sometimes Ill say what would you pay for that and they will give me a price and if I know they really like it its deal done.But  if someone only has a few quid Ill let them buy a painting or drawing by paying something every week 

Is being an artist difficult and also as regards economics?


 I was always discouraged by my family who never liked my work.When you are young and your closest adults deride your work then you are not exactly filled with confidence. I stopped painting for a long time but if it is in you it is in you.

 They insisted on representational art and that was really the reason why they never became real artists because they stuck themselves into a strict observational art that could never let fantasy in.Good artists in the extreme but in the end it was evening school nudes stuff like that if you get my meaning.

The hardest part about being a contemporary artist is just  remaining yourself and avoiding accomplishing requests of the market which are sometimes, purely led by trends.You should paint because you love it because although you need to sell you cannot base your life on that because you never know if you will sell.
Above Salentine shepherd

 I kn
 ow that all the people who buy from me feel they have something valuable and unique. 

What are you doing now?



Im painting a 25 foot mural on paper all in red about Che , at least the principle idea is the death of Che , sounds a bit 



teenagery maybe but of all the heroes we put up as real heroes he was maybe one of the few that deserves 




Do you ever paint solely that which you can see?

I find it pretty boring to be honest but sometimes I see a painting that is of that ilk and I think I wish I had done that.
Rare but sometimes I see something incredible and very often its by an unknown artist 


Do you like artists






Not really , most are boring with nothing to report, a lot of the stuff I see is crap to be honest because it comes from a mind thats boring















What is the average persons relationship with art?














rThey have  zero elationship, most, 
I  follow the Machiavellian idea that if one thinks the working class or lets say the masses have virtue then you are making a big mistake. That said it might be said that we have to educate those that dont have the opportunity to real education not the rubbish taught by stubblebums in schools who merely recite so called facts in many cases. It is not just the working class but also the middle classes , no idea about art.Thats maybe why we have an idiot class of middle class and working class. The middle class are merely working class with false accents and more money . Hope that does not sound too sure of itself but honestly although the people found at exhibitions are mainly middle class they have little idea of what they are looking at , lets say you ask them to name a really good modern artist , one working now, most cannot and that is why they know little about art .but I always get that feeling from the so called middle class, for me many are just an accent perpetuated through the years meaning nothing.


Tell us about your photography


Well I had a special lens made which allows me to get the kind of image I want . Its pretty technical but its really a great piece of equipment 


Do you still see banksy?


Yeh we have a drink now and then in Highbury and Islingfton,
 Cant tell you where but we are still good mates and I help him sometimes.Sometimes we go to football or we might go to Calais, he likes Calais

So you can't tell us who he is?


Well Ill only say this , Banksy is a cockney living part of the time in a house  down in the East end
 although he has lots of place where he lives, Ill say this , the idea that he lives in the west 
country is way off the mark.

Does he ever see your art?


Of course , he actually paints some of it


Can you give us a hint?

He is not Hirst, lots of people thinks hes hirst but how could someone like Hirst be banksy its like saying Monet was really Vincent





























No comments:

Post a Comment