Tuesday 13 January 2015

spectator shoes

 I love spectator shoes. I have a pair of black and white cap toes and a pair of brown and white wingtips. However, I just never have the opportunity to wear them.....or perhaps I should say that I rarely feel that it's appropriate to wear them as they are so flashy (or at least will be perceived as such).

For those of you who have and love spectators, when do you wear them, and with what outfit do you wear them?

Hopefully your stories will help me be brave enough to wear my spectators more often! I wear mine a lot with linen trousers in the summer to go out to a restaurant. Perfect for a late Saturday afternoon happy hour on the patio of your favorite pub/eatery/bistro. Sunglasses, glass of wine or cocktail of your choice, some finger foods and good friends.How did you go about polishing them? I use brown or black polish on the matching coloured parts and then I use white Meltonian cream on the white leather.Meltonian-Shoe-Cream-Polish-WHITE-171-Leather-Conditioner-Shoe-Care-FootFitter

Some have suggested using a neutral polish for the whole shoes which seems easier, but I haven't yet tried it. I'm also not sure if that keeps the white leather looking bright.
I own 5 pair of spectators of differing types. I get a good deal of use from them.
Some things that work for me:

1. flat front  white /stone chinos or sta prest
2. Seersucker -blue / grey -usually just pants as it gets hot here soon
3. the shoes do the work -everything else gets toned down
4. shirts / white or light up top -helps balance the white below -ginghams in lt. blue /khaki /brown work 
5. keep the socks simple or no socks

I wear them mostly to evening out to dinner -I know its not an evening shoe -but I'm talking about going to the casual restaurants. I also wear them in early parts of the school year when weather is still hot.
Fall brings in yet more two tones like the G&G Astaire which work well with flannels.




No comments:

Post a Comment