Sunday 28 October 2012

nina hamnett part 7

 
LAUGHING TORSO 




 
. We made friends and she asked 
him to bring me to her house.
I had never been
to the Opera House before and was much impressed
at the chic of the French women. 
 They were very 
much made up, but the only grand and aristocratic
woman
 
that I could see was sitting in a box opposite 
to us with some friends,
 
 and I asked who she could 
be. My friend, Winzer, who knew nearly everyone
there, told me that it was
 
Lady Juliet Duff. I met 
her some years afterwards at the Princess Murat's.
During the intervals we went to the promenade and
 
talked to Diaghilev and the Princess. 
In London I had met Andre Gide. One day he





came up to the Cafe Parnasse, which has now be
come part of the Rotonde.
 
This was at that time 
miich the most amusing cafe in Montparnasse. He
 
was delighted to see me and had with him a young 
man called Marc Allegri, who, a year or two ago,
went to the Congo with Gide and made a wonderful
film of the natives there
 
. 
 Several English officers 
who had been at the Peace Conference were still in
Paris and used to come to the Parnasse in the even
ings.
 
 They knew many songs and we found an 
American who sang too, and we would spend the
evenings singing. Andre Gide would come up and
listen.
 
He spoke English almost perfectly and I 
think enjoyed our singing, although it got very loud
and noisy as the evening wore on. I had left the
Hotel Victor and was living in a hotel opposite the
 
Gare Montparnasse. Marc Allegri said that he 
would like to see some of my work, some of which
I had at my hotel. He had seen it at Cambridge
and had come with Gide to my studio in Fitzroy
 
Street on one occasion. I arranged to meet him 
on the terrasse of the Cafe Parnasse and waited for
some time. Presently I saw Gide by himself walking
by. He waved to me and carne and sat beside me.
I said, " Where is Marc? "
Nina Hamnett taking a bath 
 
He said that he did not 
know, but as he had nothing to do for an hour or
 above hamnett by foujita 
two, could he come himself and see my pictures.
We went back to my room and he liked some of my
drawings very much. Seeing my guitar hanging on
the wall he asked me to sing some English songs,
and I spent the whole afternoon singing to him.
He was a charming man, elderly, very good-looking




 
and very amusing. I was very pleased that a man 
whose works I admired so much should spend the
afternoon listening to my silly songs and enjoy
himself.

 
I found a girl whom I had known in London, in 
fact she had been at Brangwyns with me and had
married a very nice man who was in some govern
ment service in Paris. I had known him in London
slightly. She did coloured dry points of people and
 
made a lot of money. She had to go to England 
for a few days to see her children who were at
school. She said, " Take my husband out and keep
him from being bored/ This, I think, was the time
of Mardi Gras, and there were several holidays.
We spent Sunday at the Rotonde drinking Vouvray
with some friends, and he asked me to meet him
there again on Monday and we would go to Font-
ainebleau, have lunch there, and then walk to
Moret, where there was a little inn where Arnold
Bennett had lived for some years. We decided that
we would drink to his health when we got there and
have dinner. I had never been to Fontainebleau
before and we went to a very nice restaurant and
had lunch and some white wine and started out to
walk through the forest. It was a very hot day and
there was nothing but four or five miles of forest.
We rested by the road-side from time to time and
about six o'clock we got to the inn, very hot and
thirsty. It was about half a mile from Moret itself
and a most charming looking little place. The caf6
had a garden in front of it with some tables and we
sat down and ordered bottles of beer. We were so





thirsty that we drank eight or nine bottles which,
one by one, as we finished them we placed under the
table. We ordered dinner with a whole duck, chose
the wine, and then went for a walk whilst they
cooked it. We sat on the edge of the forest near a
peasant's hut. It was rather damp and marshy.
I had never met mosquitoes before and did not
realize what they were capable of. I began to
scratch my legs, so did my companion. We went
back to the inn and had a magnificent dinner and
drank Arnold Bennett's health again in white and
red wine, then walked to the
 
station at Moret, got 
into a train packed with French bourgeois, and,
being very tired, slept one on each seat, packed like
sardines between the French, until we reached Paris.
The next day my legs were swollen to about twice
their natural size and my friend telephoned to me
at the Rotonde to say that he had to stay in bed as
he couldn't walk at all. I have since been careful
of damp and marshy ground.

The nice Pole who lived in Modigliani's studio
said that I could come and work there if I liked.
The studio consisted of two long workshops, up
many flights of stairs. Gauguin had lived on the
floor below. It was next to the Academic Golorossi.
The house looked as if it were going to fall down at
any moment and one could see the sunlight shining
through a part of the wall. There was a fire-
escape on the wall on the inside of the window.
It was a rope ladder with wooden rungs attached
with an iron hook. No one ever dared to go
down it as we thought that the wall and the house





would probably come down too. I believe Modig-
liani climbed down on one occasion. The studio
was exactly as he had left it, and parts of the
walls had been painted different colours to make
different backgrounds. The staircase was lopsided,
as it had already slipped about two inches from the
wall. I was rather nervous at first about going up
and downstairs, but it seemed to be quite safe. In
 
the studio underneath lived Ortiz de Zarate, the 
South American painter. The Pole and the Arab
sat with me in the evenings at the Cafe Parnasse.
There were many Polish painters there at that time
and they were unanimous in their hatred of E.
who had gone away with my friend and my money.
There was one particularly amusing painter called
Rubezack, who drank wine, sang songs, and made
jokes all day and half the night. The Arab had
a mistress who was a Frenchwoman and was
very jealous of him. I thought him most charm
ing and very good-looking; he seemed to like me
too. Rubezack had a son and had one day to
go out of Paris to a country place to inspect the
school. He came to the cafe and found the Arab and
myself drinking coffee and asked us if we would
accompany him for the afternoon. We took the train
and came to a charming place with a large house,
which was the school. Afterwards we sat in the gar
den
 
 of a cafe and drank Vermouth Cassis, a drink 
which eventually goes to the head and is mostly
drunk in France by work-girls and concierges.
There was a swing in the garden and we took turns
on it and behaved in a ridiculously childish way.

134



PARIS REVISITED



We then walked across some fields, took the tram,
and came back to the cafe to find the Arab's mis
tress, not looking too pleased, and the Pole who
lived in Modigliani's studio.

Underneath the Hotel de la Haute Loire^ which
was the hotel I stayed at in 1914, was the Restaurant
Baty. Outside were baskets of oysters stacked up.
Inside, the floor was tiled and covered in sawdust.
Rosalie was still in the Rue Campagne Premiere, in
her restaurant, and wept when Modigliani's name
was mentioned, although, when he was alive, she
threw him out several times a week. This was not
really surprising as he caused a dreadful disturbance
at times. One day I met Blaise Cendras at the
Pamasse. He had only one arm, the other he had
lost in the War. I had read his poetry and admired
his work very much. He was a great friend of
Ferdinand Leger, and they and many more amusing
people ate every day at Baty's. Sometimes they
would sing whilst they ate. They sang snatches
from the Russian Ballets. They were particularly
fond of snatches from " Scheherazade " and " Pe-
trouska." One day, after lunch, an elderly Baroness
came to the restaurant and they decided to go and
see Brancusi, bringing some wine with them. They
took the Baroness with them. She must have been
very beautiful when she was young. She wore a
yellow wig, which she twined round her head. She
still had a fine figure. She asked me to dinner at her
flat. She had several pictures of Henri Rousseau,
the Douanier. She had the " Wedding/' a large
picture with the bride in white in the middle and





the one with the horse-trap and the black dog. I
was thirty at that time and she must have been very
much older. She asked me how old I was and I
said, " Thirty. 53 She said, " How funny, I am only
three years older than you." I had never met
anyone who lied quite to that extent before and was
rather disturbed. I thought that conversation
under those circumstances was going to be difficult,
if not impossible. Evan Morgan came to see her
with me one evening. She told us that we were
both vulgar and common and it nearly ended in a
battle. The day that they all went to Brancusi's
they danced and sang and the Baroness, feeling tired,
asked if she could go upstairs and lie down for a
short time. She did, and then went home. When
Brancusi went to bed he was horrified to find the
Baroness's yellow wig. It was an embarrassing
moment for him. The next day she wrote and
explained that it belonged to her; she said that she
did not, as a rule, wear it, and would he send it back
at once.

I worked at Modigliani's studio with the Pole and
drew at the Academy. I felt rather a fool about my
painting as all the Poles and, in fact, all the painters
painted in very bright colours, and mine still looked
like London fog. I was very happy aiad felt very well
as I always did in Paris. The Pole liked me very
much. He painted portraits and flowers. He was
small and well-built and looked rather like Charlie
Chaplin, whom he imitated very well as he wore a
pair of very baggy corduroy trousers*









LAUGHING TORSO



CHAPTER X THE SOUTH OF FRANCE

THE Pole asked me if I would go to the South of
France, but, he said, " We must get married first. 55
I had to confess that I already had a husband.
After thinking for a time he decided that it really did
not matter very much. It had never occurred to me
that it did. I had to pretend that it was a sacrifice
on my part. The same dealer, who had been in
duced to give Modigliani money, bought my Pole's
pictures from time to time. We went to see him and
his wife. I felt like a jeune fills with her fiancS.
They were pleased and congratulated us both. The
dealer bought some of his pictures and gave him
some money. I sold some drawings for a few
hundred francs, very much less than the money that
he had and we took a third-class train for the South.
I did not ask where we were going to, as I was so
thrilled with the idea of going South that I did not
mind. Two South Americans came with us, too.
 
One of them was going to Gollioure to stay with 
Foujita and his wife. The train was very uncom
fortable. The seats were made of strips of wood
which, when one tried to lie on them, made holes
in one's body. We slept uncomfortably and I leant
against my Pole, who put his arm affectionately
round my waist. When we started from Paris it was
cold and pouring with rain; as we got further
South it got warmer and warmer. The South
Americans and the Pole spoke Spanish. My Pole had
lived for five years in Spain and spoke Spanish like




a Spaniard. I spoke to them in French. We stopped
for ten minutes at Lyons and went into the station
cafe, drank coffee and ate ham sandwiches.
The train got hotter and hotter and the sun shone
from a cloudless blue sky. We saw olive trees and
flowers of all colours, and finally the Pyrenees in the
distance. I thought that I was approaching Para
dise, and began to wonder if I had not died during
the night and had really arrived there. I ached all
over and was getting very hungry. We decided to
stay at Collioure, if we liked the place, and to find
some rooms. In order to get to Gollioure we had to
get off the train at Port Vendres
 
, the place where 
the boats sail for Algiers and Morocco. We arrived
there at eight in the morning, and dragged our
weary bodies to a little cafe on the quays. I had
never seen such blue water and such beautifulfishing-
boats with curved sails. The boats were painted the
brightest of blues, greens, and reds. I looked at
them and wondered however I should paint them;
they were so perfect in themselves that it seemed
impossible to do anything that would not resemble
a coloured photograph. The cafe had melons piled
up outside. We had a bottle of red wine to revive
us, some coarse bread, and butter and cheese. From
Port Vendres we had to walk to Gollioure along the
cliffs for about four miles. There were high moun
tains behind us and as we walked we saw an Arab
castle on the top of a hill. It looked like something
out of the Arabian Nights. At last we turned a corner
and saw a bay, the other side of which was Collioure.
There were pink, green, and white houses and an



LAUGHING TORSO



Arab tower on the sea-shore.
 
 We walked round the 
bay and got down to the shore. There was a
stone path at the foot of the old fort and the sea
came right up to the path. The Foujitas had the
best house in Collioure. It was practically on the
sea. There was only a road and a small stretch of
seashore in front of it. Matisse had lived there for
many summers. It had a balcony and several large
rooms. At this time Foujita was living with his
first wife, whom I had not met before. She was
French and had most beautiful legs, but her body
was shapeless and enormous. She had the most
terrifying face I have ever seen and I was frightened
of her. She screamed at Foujita most of the time.
They were very kind and pleased to see us and found
us a charming place in a very narrow street near the
sea. It cost a hundred and fifty francs a month. It,
had a large room, with two windows looking on to
the street, and an alcove at the back which con
tained a bed. There was also another small alcove.
In the front room was a primitive stove which burnt
charcoal. The old lady who rented it to us was very
ugly and had long teeth like a horse. Appar
ently in this part of the world, there is something in
the water which makes people's teeth drop out, and
even the quite young women had teeth missing.

There were no sanitary arrangements of any kind
and a bucket was placed in the Smaller alcove for
my use. The gentlemen of the town walked every
morning up a hill to the moat of the fort. The old
lady and most of her family earned their living by
packing and salting fish, principally sardines.






 
Under each of the houses in the street were large 
cellars in which they packed the fish. The women
dressed in black with black handkerchiefs over their
heads.
Our landlady's sister kept a little shop. She
sold everything, including tobacco. She had one
of the most beautiful faces that I have ever seen.
She must have been nearly fifty and wore the black
dress that all the women wore; she moved her
hands most gracefully. She had a beautiful voice
and looked like the Virgin Mary. I asked the land
lady if there were not any photographs of her when
she was young. She said that they never troubled
about anything like that, and that the people for
miles around came to Collioure to look at her and
admire her.

The evening of our arrival Foujita and his wife
asked us to dinner. Foujita was a marvellous cook,
and we all went to the kitchen and helped. It ended
by us all being chased out, as Foujita explained in
Japanese, rather forcibly, that " too many cooks
spoilt the broth We had breakfast in a cafe the
next morning, and afterwards I wandered round the
town with a string bag to visit the shops. I bought
some meat, and some potatoes and onions, and the
Pole and I cooked it. He cooked very well indeed,
and I knew how to do several things quite well. We
had lunch and then went out to view the landscape
to see what we could paint. I was frightened of be
ginning anything, as he painted much better than I
did, but he was very kind and sympathetic, and said
that it did not matter much what I painted, but "
faut travailler" He had been a great friend of





Modigliani's, and knew many stories about him, so
I was never bored for a minute. We went to the
sea-shore every morning with the Foujitas and the
South American. There were bathing-boxes, and
Madame Foujita and I shared one and the men had
another. Foujita swam like a fish and dived
beautifully. I could not swim at all, the result of
my having been " ducked " when I was a child, but
they all decided to teach me. We all made a great
effort and finally after a week, I managed to swim
five metres, and after a scream of triumph, sank.
We went in the evening to a cafe where they had, on
Friday nights, Cafe Concerts. The songs they sang
shocked even me, they were of an unbelievable
indecency, but the population were delighted, and
cheered loudly. I drew at the cafe during the day
time, as we sometimes went there after lunch.
There were Senegalese working near by, digging a
trench. They never appeared to be doing any work,
they just posed in attitudes, resting on their pickaxes
and their shovels, standing in very well composed
groups, never moving at all. We stayed at Collioure
for three months and even then the trench was not
completed. One day my Pole said to one of them,
" How do you like the women here? " And he re
plied, " Not at all, they smell too much
 Ap 
parently the white girls smelt as badly to them as
the black men did to the white girls, and so no one
had any success at all.

We had brought metres of canvas with us and
some stretchers, and a few days later I found a
motif. It was up a hill; one saw roofs in the fore-





ground and the Arab tower with the sea behind and
a few fishing -boats with white sails, and in the
background a green hill with white waves washing
against the rocks. I saw the painting again the
other day. It is in the collection of Mary Anders.
The white waves were very well painted and so
was the Arab tower. The roofs and the sea I did
not think so highly of, and thought how much
better I could have painted them now. The Pole
was very sweet and encouraging. The Foujitas
suggested that we should take our supper and some
wine to the Arab castle that we had seen on our way
to Gollioure. We started off about four p.m. and
climbed the hill. There had been a drawbridge,
with quite a narrow and small drop, only about two
yards wide and six feet deep. It was quite easy to
jump across it, which I and the Pole did at once,
without a thought. When it came to Mrs. Foujita
she screamed with terror. The Pole and I jumped
back and made her jump, she was in a fainting con
dition by the time she got to the other side. I made
a few sinister remarks in bad taste about education
at the Royal School of Officers 3 Daughters of the
Army, the British Empire, cricket, sport, courage,
etc., which I don't think the poor creature was in
a condition to hear. We revived her with some wine
and walked up the steps inside the castle. The
castle was square outside, but inside there was a
round hole, surrounded by a path. On the stone
floor, at intervals of a few yards, were holes, and
underneath was water, into which enemies were
pushed. We got on to the roof, which was large



LAUGHING TORSO



and flat. The view was magnificent. We sat down
and had our supper of wine, bread, olives and sar
dines : one could never escape at any meal from the
eternal sardine it appeared in every form salted ,
fresh, boiled and fried. Madame Foujita spoke in a
gruff and angry voice, even when she was not
annoyed, but that was not often. Foujita was
angelic and never answered back or said a word.
I don't think that she had ever seen or met an
English person before, and she would sit and gaze
at me in astonishment for hours. The South
American had apparently been very rich once and
was an ex-amour of Madame Foujita's. He had a
face like a hawk and a long thin body that was
rather beautiful and resembled an old ivory Spanish
crucifix. He was very Spanish and talked about
poetry, life, hope, and the soul. The Pole knew a
good deal about Spaniards and laughed at him
sometimes. Madame Foujita suspected me of
laughing at her too, but she was, I am thankful to
say, not quite sure. Foujita painted at home during
the afternoons. He did not use an easel, but placed
a canvas against a chair and sat on the floor with
his legs crossed. He worked with a tiny brush, very
rapidly. The South American sat in the sun, drank
wine, and blinked his eyes.

My Pole and I went out every day to find new
motifs to paint. After a week we saw so many sub
jects that we thought that we would have to stay
there for about seventy years in order to accomplish
them. I tried to paint olive trees. I found them
almost impossible. One day we found a beautiful




motif on a hill. It was very windy, so we attached
our easels to a string and a large stone, so that they
could not move. I was painting furiously, and
suddenly, behind an olive tree, appeared a Japanese.
He said, " Bon jour, Nina" and I looked at him for
a moment and recognized him as the friend of
Foujita Kavashima.
This was quite fantastic as
one does not expect to see people one has not seen
for ten years on a Pyrenee.

One day we decided to have a picnic in the
woods. We bought sardines, bread, cheese and
some wine. We found a place with very green
grass. I thought at once of mosquitoes we
spread out some paper on the grass. After lunch
the paper was strewn all over the place. I said,
thinking of Hampstead Heath, " We must clean
the paper up. 95 Madame Foujita said, " Pourquoi! "
And I said, " It spoils the landscape, and so I
dug a hole in the ground and buried all the paper
and sardine bones. After lunch Foujita saw a
large tree. It had a big trunk and no branches at
all. He said, " I will climb this tree. I wondered
how he was going to do it. He took the trunk of the
tree with one hand on each side and climbed up
like a monkey. We all looked at him with astonish
ment and admiration. He could use his toes in the
same way that he could use his fingers. To enter
Spain one had to have a visa. None of us had one,
but we wanted very much to get to
Port Bou, which
is the first Port in Spain. Madame Foujita, although
tiresome at times, was a woman of determined
character, and if she made up her mind to do some-





LAUGHING TORSO



thing, nothing, not even the police force, or the
customs officials, could thwart her. We heard that
there was a fete day in Spain. She had a brilliant
idea.

We would take the train to Cerbere, the last
station before Spain, and walk over the Pyrenees
into Spain. Madame Foujita dressed herself up in
her best clothes, with a pair of very high-heeled
patent leather shoes, not forgetting to put in
Foujita's pocket a pair of rope-soled shoes. This I
did not know about when we started and wondered
how she would climb the mountain, which was of
a respectable height. I wore a corduroy land girl's
coat and skirt, with pockets all over it, and looked
extremely British. We got to Cerbere and arrived
at the foot of the mountain. Madame F. took off
the high-heeled shoes, which Foujita put in his
pocket, and put on the rope-soled shoes and we
began to climb the mountain.
 
 About a quarter of 
the way up we were stopped by the Customs, who
asked to see our passports. Madame F. took the
situation in hand, and explained in forcible language
that we were not climbing the mountain with a view
to descending the other side into Spain, but only to
admire, from the top, the Spanish scenery. I think
they were so terrified of her that they let us continue.
When we got to the top of the mountain we could see
thirty or forty miles of Spain. This mountain was
not nearly so high as the one that we had climbed
before; so we saw the view much more clearly.
We saw a square hole in the ground, which had some
steps leading downwards. We all walked down and








found a cellar with Spaniards drinking wine out of
bottles with long spouts* They held the spouts to
their lips, opened their throats, and down went the
wine. We ordered a bottle of wine and some glasses.
The Pole and the South American drank out of the
bottles. The French, who were entering Spain,
drank to the health of the Spaniards, and the
Spaniards who were about to enter France, drank
to the health of the French. We drank to every
body's health, including our own, and the Customs
House Officers. We then descended the other side
of the mountain and entered Port Bou. The cafes
were filled. The Spanish men wore black hats and
smoked cigars. When they saw me they screamed,
" Inglese! Inglese! " This, I realized, was regrettable,
but could not be helped. The Spaniards had little
fans, which they flapped all the time. We found a
restaurant and ordered a large lunch with a litre of
Spanish wine. It cost us a good deal of money, as
we had to change our francs into pesetas. The wine
was so strong that even five of us dared not finish the
bottle, which we left only three-quarters empty.
After lunch we visited the fete. There were re
gattas, and dances, and guitars, and what was de
scribed as pigeon-shooting. This rather horrified
me as the unfortunate pigeons were tied to posts
by their legs. The Spaniards shot at them. There
was a whole row of pigeons and if one was wounded
they very rarely killed one outright it flapped its
wings and frightened the other birds. It was then
time to return, as we had our train to catch at
Cerb^re. We passed the Customs, who were tactful




enough not to ask us any questions, and returned to
Collioure.

After two weeks Foujita and his wife had to return
to Paris. We had a letter from a Pole, R., and his
wife, to say that they were coming to Collioure.
They had found an apartment near the port.
Madame R. was very fat and very bourgeoise, and I
thought rather kind. My Pole did not like her very
much. I think the same kind of person, if she had
been English, would have been quite impossible,
but we, being females, and of such different races,
got on very well. At least she was a change from
Madame Foujita. She was always suffering from a
different malady, she had indigestion, rheumatism,
change of life, stomach troubles, headaches, feet that
would not walk, and all kinds of other things. One
day we went to the seashore to bathe. R. very
seldom bathed, because he said that his figure looked
like a "sac de merde" which indeed it did. His wife
had the good sense not to bathe at all. My Pole
bathed with a pair of bathing -drawers, not the.
regulation kind that covers the chest. When he
walked out of his bathing box Madame R. gave a
scream of horror and said, " C'est indecent I " I then
gave another lecture about England and told her
what I thought about her views of morality in very
forcible language. One evening we were sitting in
our cafe, which had a terrasse in front and each side
a small wall about two feet high. It was about six
p.m. and quite light. Suddenly, on the other side of
the wall, a strange figure appeared; he had a black
beard, a cap, and scarf round his neck. He said





something in Spanish and my Pole said, of course,
in French, as he did not speak English, " He speaks
fifteenth-century Spanish." My Pole knew Spanish
literature very well indeed, and answered him, and
they had a conversation. We asked him to have a
drink, but he disappeared behind the wall in the
same way that he had appeared. We never saw him
again. My Pole said to me that it was a drole de
chose, and I agreed with him.

One morning I went out with my string bag to
buy the food for the day. I saw outside the butcher's
a cart full of pigs that had come to be killed. I
thought that perhaps they would kill them in a
slaughter-house and went for a walk to buy butter
and bread. When I came back I saw one pig sitting
outside the butcher's shop with its head on its front
paws, and large tears streaming out of its eyes. I
was told that its brother had been killed in the
street before its eyes and that it was crying. This
sounds a fantastic story. I walked away and told
my Pole. He said that it was true and that pigs
were so like human beings that they wept when they
were unhappy. An hour later I went back to buy
some pork and they gave it to me and it was warm
and I cried too. R., my Pole, and I went for walks
together. Madame R. could not and would not.
We were all glad about this as her only topics of
conversation were her diseases and her troubles.
We walked sometimes to Port Vendres. I sat in
the cafe on the front. There was a very high
mountain behind Collioure. We wanted to climb
it, but heard that it was very much further away





 
and higher than it looked. I was determined 
to do some mountaineering, so we found a nearer
mountain that was only seven hundred metres
high and from the top of which one could see
Spain. We started one afternoon. The first part
was easy, but as we got higher up we had to climb
over rocks, sometimes having to cling on to the
grass and shrubs. We got hot and thirsty and
found a spring. We wished that we had brought
some beer with us. When we reached the top the
view was wonderful. Spain was so entirely different
from France. The whole character of the landscape
was different. On the horizon was a small black
cloud. My Pole said that we must descend as
quickly as possible as, in a very short time, there
would be a terrific storm. Just as we reached the
foot of the mountain the storm broke. I had never
seen such lightning before and we had to take re
fuge in a shop. It was like a large cellar and the
whole floor was stacked with melons. We sat on
the melons, which were very uncomfortable, and
the old lady gave us some wine. The storm went on
for so long that we got bored with waiting and went
home. We had to take the path at the foot of the
fortress, where we had walked on the day we
arrived. The rain came down in torrents and within
a tew seconds we were all dripping. The lightning
struck the sea a few feet from us and I never expected
to get home alive. Our street was a pool of water.
We lit the charcoal fire and were not dry till the
next day.

At least every two weeks there was a fete, when





nobody did any work. A comic band appeared.
They played in a little square. There were four of
them in Catalan costume and they sat on four
barrels. Three of them played curious instruments
like clarionets, but they made an odd noise,, almost
like bagpipes, and the fourth one played a trumpet.
They played one particular tune over and over
again and the peasants danced Catalan dances. I
think that, during one week, there were three fete
days. As we lived near the square and as the band
played till after midnight we found it rather tire
some. We painted one motif in the morning and
another in the afternoon. I found a wonderful
scene with trees and houses. After I had painted
the usual blue sky for two afternoons a storm arose
and the sky became dark blue. I painted as hard
as I could and the painting was getting better and
better and then the downpour started and I had
to run for shelter. Of course, I never finished the
painting as there was not another storm. I always
think that it might have been a masterpiece. I
think one thinks that about every picture one has not
finished. We had painted about fourteen pictures
and the money was getting rather low. We had only
about three weeks 5 money left.

There was a curious old lady who paraded up and
down the streets. She was a beggar and moved
from place to place according to the seasons. She
spent the winter months in Paris. Everyone hated
her because she sang or rather croaked in a loud
and raucous voice. When she walked down our
street all the inhabitants put their heads out of their







windows and aimed at her with the contents of
their pots de chambre.

The grapes were now ripe and the time had come
for the wine to be made. In the street in front of
our door a wine-press was put up. One had to step
over a part of it in order to get out. This continued
for about a week and the wine-press was removed.
One morning I went out with my string bag to buy
the lunch and was hailed by our landlady. She
asked me to come and taste the newly-made wine.
I went into her cellar where she packed the fish. I
met her beautiful sister coming up the stairs smelling
very strongly of sardines. It seemed to me odd to
find a woman, who looked so like the Virgin Mary,
smelling of fish. I went into the cellar, where I
found my landlady, who had lost another tooth,
surrounded by all her relatives, tasting the new
wine. I joined them. It was rather raw, but gave
one a pleasant feeling of amiability. When I left
I met, in the street, another neighbour, who also
invited me to taste her wine. I could not possibly
refuse and had some white wine. On emerging I
found still another neighbour and had to repeat the
process. I then arrived home without any lunch at
all and fell sound asleep. My Pole was very kind
and sympathetic and forgave my abominable be
haviour.

The patron of the caf< we frequented was a
charming man and now and then bought us drinks.
(Madame R. had already left for Paris.) When
he heard we were leaving he asked us to have
a Catalan breakfast. He said that we must arrive




at eight a.m. Breakfast consisted of a huge dish of
anchovies, swimming in oil and garlic, sausages,
olives, black and white bread, and first white wine
and then red. There were three bottles of white
wine and three of red and four of us to drink them.
At nine-thirty we left. My Pole, R., and I decided
that the only thing for us to do was to take a long
walk. We walked silently for about three miles
when we came to the sea-shore where we lay down
in a row on the pebbles and slept. There was, of
course, no question of the tide coming in or going
out as there is practically no tide at all in the
Mediterranean and some hours later we woke up
feeling rather worse and smelling horribly of garlic.
I have never since really appreciated either ancho
vies or garlic and hope that I shall not again have
to experience a Catalan breakfast. We had by now
just the railway fare back to Paris.







CHAPTER XI BACK TO PARIS AND TO CELEBRITIES

I WENT to Modigliani's studio and stayed with the
Pole. It was very uncomfortable but I did not mind
as I was quite used to discomfort. My Pole sold
some pictures to the dealer and a collector, so we
had a little money to live on. We had a large coke
stove on which we cooked. There was no gas or
electric light., so we had an oil lamp. In the morn
ings the Pole cleaned and filled the lamp, and in the
evenings we read the French classics, sitting one
each side of Modigliani's old and scarred table.
The picture-dealer had a spare copy of Modigliani's
death mask. There were, I think, four taken. It
was rather horrible as his mouth had not been
bound up and his jaw dropped. It looked terrifying
through the door of the first workshop in the shadow.
We felt that we had to keep it with us, because if we
put it out or gave it away it would be a breach of
friendship. The Arab came and spent the evenings
with us. Sometimes we got a bottle of cheap wine
and talked about Montparnasse before the War.
The painter who lived downstairs came to see us
sometimes too. In the summer he became very
eccentric and did the most odd things. The first
thing he would do was to break the lock of his studio
door. One night we came home from the Cafe
Parnasse about midnight and found his door wide
open. In front of the door, on an easel, was a
painting of an enormous eye. It was done in great
detail and was about two feet wide and a foot high.





BACK TO PARIS AND CELEBRITIES



He was not in. We did not know what to do, so we
closed the door. We were quite certain that Modig-
liani was still with us and fancied at night that we
could hear his footsteps walking through the studio.
It was certainly a most sinister place.

 
We worked during the daytime. I painted Still 
Life and worked at the Academy from the nude in
the afternoon. We did a great deal of work. We
had a tabby cat. Once we were all very broke,
myself., the Pole, and the Arab. For three days we
could not find a penny, we did not mind much about
ourselves, but we were so sorry for the cat, who had
to starve also. We had a lot of Modigliani's books
and in despair the Pole took one on philosophy and
read it to us. As he turned over the pages he sud
denly came to a HUNDRED FRANC NOTE.
Modigliani's wife used to hide money away from him
and this was one of his notes. We were so delighted
that we rushed into the nearest workmen's restaur
ant, taking the cat with us, and ate and drank to
Modigliani's health the whole evening. The poor
cat ended in a very tragic way. One evening we
were reading and the cat began to run round in
circles. We realized that it had gone mad so we
locked it up in the lavatory and went out. We dared
not come home until the next morning. We sat in
cafe all night and at eight in the morning came
home to find an apparently dead cat. We went to
bed as we were very tired and suddenly heard a most
dreadful howl. We opened the door of the lava
tory and found that the cat was really dead. The
next thing to do was to dispose of the body. We





decided that we could not put our poor friend in
the dustbin so we sat down and thought. In the
gutters of the streets of Paris are, at intervals,
small slits about a foot and a half long and about
six inches high. These lead to the sewers of Paris,
which lead to the Seine. We decided that at
night we would wrap our cat's body up and drop
him down, and he might eventually float down to
the sea, I thought of Alfred Jarry's remark about
dead people. I think it is in the Docteur Faustrol; I
can't quote it in French, but when he asks, " What
is the difference between live people and the dead? "
the answer is, " The live ones can swim both up
and down the river, but the dead ones can only
swim down. We stretched our cat out straight and
wrapped him in two layers of paper and tied him up
with string. We made a handle of the string and he
looked rather like a parcel containing a long bottle.
At nine in the evening we went out, the Pole holding
the parcel by the string handle. We crept round
the neighbourhood, looking for a quiet spot. We
walked for some time round the Luxembourg
luxembourg-gardens-paris
gardens and finally found a suitable place in the
Rue d'Assas. Both crying bitterly, we popped him
in and then went to the Gaf<6 Parnasse, and had
some drinks. Everyone asked why we were so sad,
but we did not tell them, and went home to bed.

The Pole knew many Spaniards and they came
to our studio and played and sang. . . , They were
much the same as the South American. I liked the
Spaniards. They seemed to spend their lives playing
guitars. Even so they really did a great deal of work.

1 comment: