Sunday 10 April 2016

thames boy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgtQj8O92eI&nohtml5=False



in a war long ago a soldier asked his leader if he thought the war could be won and his leader replied "It cannot be one there is something even better than that . The fact is it can go on forever and as soldiers we should be happy about that"
That is how I felt about my Dad, He was suffering with joint problems and other things but I just thought it could all go on forever .Ever since we fought the law and became illegals we had always had money , for a long time we had done well.
Since he died I feel like a character in a western, burn the house down and never go back but even though Id like to do that I cannot, the house is worth a million pounds circa and thats big money but I realise now that my tie with London is almost over, I dont belong there anymore.
There is a dark and glistening river that flows through my dreams – it is the old river Thames, carrying away the filth and debris of the city and, in return, delivering the riches of the world upon the flood tide rising. How much I should like to have known London as it is recorded in these photographs – with a strong current of maritime life at its heart.
The broad expanse of water in Central London is curiously empty today, yet a century ago it was a teeming thoroughfare with wharves and jetties lining the banks. 
Each day the tide goes up and down by twenty feet. For half the day, the water flows in one direction and for the other half in the other direction, with a strange moment of stillness in between while the tide turns.
 Such is the surge engendered that the force of the current at the centre presents a formidable challenge to a lone rower and would defeat any swimmer. In spite of our attempt to tame it with the flood barrier, the Thames manifests a force of nature that deserves our respect, especially as the water level rises year by year.
You might think that the river has become merely a conduit for drainage and an itinerary for tourist trips these days, yet do not forget that this mighty river is the very reason for the location of London, here on the banks of the Thames. But it is not my reason anymore , my reason has gone . I feel it inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment